Sunday, January 5, 2014

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (2008) - ENGLISH


Indeed it is exhilirating, but above all it is mind boggling and seriously genius.

I am lucky to have seen Charlie Kaufman films. And I love this film as I did many of his other films too. Mind you this film may well boggle the mind literally.

Kaufman's earlier films were all about mind and this one is no different in that aspect. Yet, he merely wrote his earlier films but he took the mantle of direction with this one. Thus, this film is much more tough to decipher or even blatantly comprehend. 

There is lot of symbolism involved as I started to learn more about the film I realise more of it. Example is that the name of the protagonist is Caden Cotard and he feels as if he were dead already and life is a dream. There is in actuality a Cotard delusion. 

There are many more things that I keep learning as I see this many more times. This is precisely my 5th time I saw and each time I see this there are surprises. Everything is more complicated than I thought. This makes the film interesting and also open for interpretation. 

Kaufman stands to his quality of writing great films and this stands right up along with his finest works. Acting by Philip Seymour Hoffman is great. He plays Caden Cotard with a comfort and clarity as if he has understood all the complications of the character. This is a great testimony of the capacity and capability if this fine actor and I wish that gets the appreciation he deserves. Catherine Keener does a fine job and is so understated. The performances are very poised in this superlative film. 

I am still not confident whether I did comprehend the film in the right way or even if there is one way to interpret or not. I can only say this much they I loved this film and will continue to do so. 

This is a 5/5 for one of the most challenging films ever made. It takes gut and lot of thought to pen it down. Thanks to producers for backing this worthy endeavour. Thanks to Charlie Kaufman above all else.

A special mention to Jon Brion and his music. I am pasting the lyrics of the song "Little Person", this one is one of my favorites.

I'm just a little person
One person in a sea
Of many little people
Who are not aware of me

I do my little job
And live my little life
Eat my little meals
Miss my little kid and wife

And somewhere, maybe someday
Maybe somewhere far away
I'll find a second little person
Who will look at me and say

"I know you
You are the one, I've waited for
Let's have some fun."

Life is precious every minute
And more precious, with you in it
So let's have some fun

We'll take a road trip way out west
You're the one I like the best
I'm glad I've found you
Like hangin' 'round you
You're the one I like the best

Somewhere, maybe someday
Maybe somewhere far away
Somewhere, maybe someday
Maybe somewhere far away
Somewhere, maybe someday
Maybe somewhere far away
I'll meet a second little person 
And we'll go out and play

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche