Saturday, January 18, 2014

AMERICAN HUSTLE (2013) - ENGLISH


Classic Film making. I wish it could have been done so well, without some uncalled for dialogues.

Yes, there is a plot, there is a twist and there is more to add to characters than what they are, and there is style. This is what classic films are made of. Interesting characters, good plot and good production values. Yet, there is something missing called good dialogue and good screenplay, that would have made this good film a great film.

I liked it, but I was OK with it and did not feel any better after watching this. The dialogues are made up of nail polish and hairstyles which seem so irrelevant actually. Yet, they are made to fit into the plot. What role will a nail polish play in a con man's life. Indeed I dozed off midway through the first hour and when I woke up 10 minutes later, nothing changed, I could catch up with the film pretty easily. That's the pace of the film. It's slow and involves lot of talking. 

I have no problem in listening to dialogue, but dialogue of this kind is tough to bear. The plot is about money and the dialogue seems to deviate all that. So that's the main thing that did not work for me. Else, unquestionably it is a good film technically. The art direction, costume design, make up are wonderful. Cinematography was good but at times, there was noise on screen. My biggest crib is editing. Was it deliberately made into such a long movie? I am sure if I were the editor, it would have been considerably less in time. 

The best part though is acting. All the actors have performed exceedingly well. From Christian Bale as Irving, the protagonist to Robert De Niro who comes in a guest role. It is terrific acting. I do not want to say anything about the plot, but just giving the meaning of hustle here. 

The music used was also good, the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit" is in Arabic and is nice. Others songs are also good. 

hustle : To obtain something by deceitful or illicit means; practice theft or swindling. 

A 3/5 will be just for this. There are many better movies in terms of writing and direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche