Monday, December 23, 2013

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969) - ENGLISH


A historically important film on male bonding. 

This is one of the first Western Films where male bonding was glorified, though there were others earlier than this, I believe this movie got two men together who were bonded thick and thin. The chemistry between Butch Cassidy played by Paul Newman and the Sundance Kid played by Robert Redford is amazing. Without the chemistry, I am sure the film would not have worked and would not have stood the test of time.

I am watching it now after a couple of earlier viewings and today too, I felt the bonding of these guys so enticing and charming. The climax where the cover and run are done, is a testimony of what they stand for. Now having said that, the film is not all too good, sweet and nice, there are some sour moments (if not bitter) and they are given to us by uncalled for heists, and a bit of drama to get the girl too. Katherine Ross plays the female character of Etta Place. Though she does here role well, she acts as a kind of spoilsport between our two heroes and it kind of irked me. I saw it as an uncalled for aberration in another wise wonderful film. 

I liked the cinematography, the colour correction, the art direction and even the writing for a good part of the time. The sepia toning done as part of cool correction is wonderful too. It gave an authentic, earthy feeling which is essential for the film. Now, the editing I wish could have been crisp. There is a fight in the beginning that's witty and charm and as the film spans it's length the charm fades and that's the sad part of the film. 

I wish it would have had more witty moments than it actually did, the second half or later hour felt monotonous too. So, I am OK with what I got and wish it could have been so much better. I am going with 4/5 for this film, just for the sheer repeat value it has got for me that I felt low, so I need a friendship film, I get to this and I got back to this film third time. It implies there is some greatness affiliated to it as per me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche