Friday, December 13, 2013

BOLLYWOOD CALLING (2001) - ENGLISH


One of the most under rated and understated films that showcases the hypocrisy of Indian Cinema with unabashed bravery.

This is a fine film that has wonderful script and has some fine actors to enact the parts. Om Puri as Subramaniam and Navin Nischol as Manu Kapoor stand out. The others have given wonderful performances too. 

The writing was superb, the character of Kajal portrayed by Perizaad Zorabaian was etched out beautifully. It has a modern outlook and thwarts the hypocrisy too. Damn, she was one courageous woman who did that role, perfectly well. Pat Cusick played the role of Patrick Stormaire with a poise of mockery and dignity. It's a rare case for Bollywood and a one to watch. 

Above the performances lies the script and yet, the acting has taken the film to a different live. Look at Om Puri shouting in typical South Indian Accent as "Balls, Balls, I want more Balls" when shooting a song sequence. There are such fine moments of splits and wonderful moments of courage too. This is added to a touch of emotion and it's al blended well into a wonderful film.

The departments of cinematography, editing play a lesser role as the film in itself is a kind of spoof on the way Bollywood films are shot and some shots are so laughable that they create a hilarious feeling. This is one of the better films of Nagesh Kukunoor and I rate it as one of the finest films made on Bollywood itself. Never before was the Bollywood film making thrashed as it did happen in Bollywood Calling. 

It's a 4/5 for this film. If anybody wants to have some good laughs at the way films are made in Bollywood, this is certainly a competent choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche