Tuesday, January 1, 2013

THE SHINING (1980) - ENGLISH

"Heeeere's Johnny!" and "All Work and No Play, makes Jack a dull boy". Just so wonderful and insanely masterful in placing such scenes and depicting them on screen.

Stanley Kubrick, the master storyteller has indeed made one of the most spine-chilling and scariest movies ever. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance did an awesome job. This is a film that not only scares you but also gives nightmares. Dare to watch it non stop without fast forwarding or pausing and you may feel something that you have never felt or rarely felt before. 

It is written superbly by Stephen King but I will say this is more of a Kubrick masterpiece as he visualized the whole and brought the writing alive. A wow to the master Kubrick. 

It works on many levels be it psychological or technical, there are Steadicam scenes, some insane scenes, some symbolism. Like REDRUM is reversed as MURDER and many many more. Jack becomes from being completely normal to totally mad. There is a history of the whole setup and it's all so very intriguing.

The whole cast has to be awarded for doing what they did and specially that boy Danny Lloyd. While Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall did perfectly. Over and above everything was location and art direction here. Be it the creation of a vast maze or that creepy hotel and that detailing of every room and nook and corner of it. The trail to the hotel, wow everything was so masterfully done. Cinematography is something that we can learn, those strolling scenes of the kid on cycle through the hall, or those maze scenes, or the car travelling through high road. Each one is shot so exquisitely, I fell in love with most of them.

Watch it for Kubrick's brilliance, it's the perfect suspense film. A 5/5 for this. Just can't say more. Go and understand what Shining is, they know everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche