Sunday, January 6, 2013

SAMSARA (2011) - SILENT


Visual imagery to great perfection and detail. The whole experience is spirit lifting.

There is no dialogue, no story, no characters and nothing is indeed defined. It's a collaboration of images and great images I must say. Wow, it's one of the best blu-ray's to be released in recent times. The perfection in each frame and the details captured beautifully make this one a great compilation of visuals. But, I doubt if anyone would undertake an ordeal of near 100 minutes with emptiness so to say, there is no word spoken and we have is fragmented images of scenes ranging from Buddhist monasteries to the skyscrapers to so many elements of nature, be it a volcano or a forest.

So, it's a kind of complete focus on what we see and completely devoid of any dialogue but music plays a pivotal role in helping us a great deal. If we close our eyes and listening it's like listening to trance music that varies from slow serene music of Chinese to the chaos of the traffic, everything is amalgamated and shown how is our world "SAMSARA".

The interesting aspect that drove me to this is the title SAMSARA itself. It is derived from Sanskrit word SAMSARA meaning, the Universe. And after tying up myself to the chair to have a juice as company and to see this 100 minute visual poem was indeed an overwhelming and great experience.
It reminded me of "The Man With the Movie Camera" that is another film of 1929 based on images purely.

Now, since this is great visual imagery, I will give 5/5 for cinematography and there it goes, coz there is nothing but cinematography here. But since it's not everyone's cup of tea, coz it's completely devoid of any movie genre, I will make it a 4/5. It worked for my eyes and try it with huge amount of time and patience and it may work for you too.   

So a 4/5 for this. This film is not for all though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche