Monday, January 14, 2013

THE 400 BLOWS (FRENCH) - 1959


Sometimes, we like to be surprised, and this indeed is a pleasant surprise. 

The 400 Blows is a very odd name and intact bears no real meaning with respect to content of the movie. But, The 400 Blows is a great film in a way that very few films are. There is a climax scene in which Antoine Doniel (Jean-Pierre Léaud) just runs to the ocean. There is a reason and it is that he just wanted to see the ocean. So, this film is not one that has a great story and is not even a deeply moving film. It's a film that most of us relate to as this is a film that has a child's tormented and troubled childhood. 

The film is more like a fictional documentary and a journey of a 12 year old boy, who is tormented by his teacher, plans to leave home, find that his father is not the original one. It's a great concocted film and a very deeply layered one. And all kudos to the director Francois Truffaut who is given us a very typically French film that has lot many subtexts and reflects the turmoil of an era and also speaks volumes about the sensitive minds of kids. 

Acting by Jean-Pierre Léaud is outstanding and even by other kids is superb. But it's Jean who steals the show all the way by making the audience sympathise, empathise and move with him. Francois Truffaut gave us one of the finest films on Kids and he must be saluted for that. 

The good things are the cinematography, the costumes and the art direction. Wow, they all were supreme and the cinematography specifically, built up a mood that even I felt related to the child and he seemed so close to me. 

Easily one of the best French Films, I rate this 5/5 and a must watch for all those who are into some serious film making. A film is not typically about a story, a beginning, a end and the interval bang, it's a poem or a journey and it can be anything. Some like it, some will not but good stories are bound to get some serious appreciation. I thank Truffaut for giving me this wonderful Film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche