Sunday, January 6, 2013

ANNIE HALL (1977) - ENGLISH


It's easily one of the most comical Woody Allen Films and almost everyone's favourite and very understandably so.

I have seen this earlier and now I watched it again today, just to review it and when you look at a movie you will see it completely and observe each detail. So now, I loved the experience more than ever. Woody Allen made movie before this and after this, but this stands as his own in every which way. This is where he began, coming to his own and showing us a film grammar that many of us were not acquainted with.

It's the relationship between Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) an Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) that the film is all about and how they stick together and even move on in different paths. Now, it's a relation of a middle aged couple in their forties and yet it's so innovative that they behave much worse than even teenagers today. They are immature, innocent, indulgent and running for their own egos making up their own reasons. It's all funny and so very innovative too. 

Woody Allen makes us audience indulge into the film by talking to them too. It's those long monologues or those fast paced and stammering dialogues, and those intelligent innuendos. The "Death In Venice" dialogue was a great one to laugh at. And there are so many too, I don't want to reveal them all here please. It's fun to watch them and laugh at them. 

Two superb performances, with great editing work done and superb dialogues and brilliant direction that is what makes it a masterpiece. There is a lot of incoherence and yet it's very very good indeed. Diane Keaton and Woody Allen are funny and cute while others have supported well. Look at the way Woody Allen asks the people in the film asking question on road side and that's a thing only he can do, salutations to Allen again and again and again.

It's a 5/5 for not so perfect film but it's one that will stay in the memory for long time an it will get you back to it for it's dialogue and for the Allenish touch. It may work for you, if you like romance as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche