Friday, January 11, 2013

THE GOLD RUSH (1925) - ENGLISH


Sir Charlie Chaplin, wrote many poems on celluloid that were moving with a smile. And here is one of them, that is hilarious and equally good as his other great films. 

This indeed, is great Chaplin Film that has many moments of comedy and it's situational, believable and slapstick. Chaplin had great stories to tell and indeed he mostly told great stories only. Based on the Klondike Gold Rush of 1890's Chaplin wrote this and made a phenomenal film. Undoubtedly, this was one of the landmark films in terms of setting and cinematography. The climax scene in house, is a treat to watch and is worth the wait till the end of it. I just loved it. But my favourite scene would be the "roll dance" with his girl amidst many people. 

This film boasts of the heroism in the Tramp and at times makes us sympathetic with the Tramp (Charlie Chaplin).  If in one scene he is a super dancer, the next one is smart escapist. All along, this film has only one thing and that's Chaplin. Well, I must say he was greatly supported by the cast. 

The art direction is something that is always great in Chaplin films and here again, it is superb. The set on the top of a snow hill, the falling off of the house, or anything you take it, it's great considering it was in 1925, the film happened. The next best thing is costume design. Now, what we are watching is a 1942 version of the film that was re-edited as Chaplin wanted it to be more precise and focused on the  Gold rush itself.

There was a Gold Rush, that is rushing for Gold in the snow cold mountains of Alaska, so many Americans rushed there to find gold and indeed, a few found gold too. So this is a film that tells us that story in a way, only Chaplin could do. This is a great film and one the finest films that stood the test of time from 1920's till 2010's.

Charlie Chaplin has given us so many remarkable and memorable films that this too stands right up there. A 5/5 for this Chaplin Film too. 

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche