Tuesday, January 8, 2013

LIFE OF BRIAN (1979) - ENGLISH


Few films are funny, few satirical and few religious and a few more political. This is religious, political, funny satire.

Set in the backdrop of B.C when Jesus Christ was born and the same day when Brian was born. He says same as Jesus Christ said and is even crucified like Jesus Christ. So we have a whole life of a man who is made a Messiah in completely funny way. The best was when the the Roman king says dialogues where "R" becomes "W". You must listen them and they are utterly hilarious. 

It's good because it's whimsical, witty and wonderful. There are lot many subtexts that question faith and even our way of following faith, though not mine, but many others. No wonder, if it was accused or even banned by the Christian communities for it's depiction of religion and customs. But, this a whole hearted and fun filled film that would be enjoyable if we leave out our prejudices and  beliefs and see it. There are high chances that you ail like it. 

There are many funny things to begin with, Brian's mother is acted by a man, I felt that funny. The quarrel about a nose, the revelation of being Roman and even the organised crucifixion. Ah, those are not those typical laugh out loud moments but sure there is inherent comedy in them. 

Technically, this has good production values, good art direction, good costumes, great acting, fine editing and sound design and superb lines. Now, I thank Terry Gilliam for starting Monty Python series and to Terry Jones for directing this film. It's totally stupid and even maniacal and a must watch film.

Watch if you like out and out fun films. No brainer this, but long detailed and funny scenes make this a 4/5 movie for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche