Wednesday, February 6, 2013

PHILADELPHIA (1993) - ENGLISH


A significant film in the history of America and even the world over. 

It's an important film in terms of Gay rights and even the discrimination for the AIDS patients. Never before this movie was such a strong case was build up for the fight against discrimination of AIDS patient. Based on a true story, PHILADELPHIA is movie that is made well and made throughly engagingly and is completely empathising the victim of discrimination and the victim of AIDS. 

Tom Hanks as Andrew Beckett gave a great performance, with all the nuances touching the notes of perfection, and making me empathise with him. It;s not sympathy, people like him need, it's empathy. They don't tear drops they need people who stand by them. Denzel Washington as Joe Miller, fought his case and fought it hard to win not just compensation for Beckett, but also glory fro him and he made history with this.  

Kudos to Jonathan Demme, to have made it with a poise that deeply moving and at the same time having a reality check completely in place so that it is not dramatised out of proportion. It's a case that's well fought with an ardour and decency that we see in good cases fought between good people. Andrew Beckett was good but he was Gay, his partner is Antonio Banderas as Miguel Alvarez. Antonio gave a subdued and a good performance. 

Indeed everyone played their part well, be it the kids of Joe Miller too. I liked the acting of everyone, but it was a Tom Hanks movie. Yet, I loved Denzel Washington's poise more than anyone else, in the film. Now, coming to the production, firstly kudos to the studios Tristar to have accepted a subject which in 1993 was still considered a taboo and bring out a brave film. Thanks Tristar for trusting in Jonathan Demme, a master in his own way who had to struggle a lot to establish himself as director.

Now, the dialogues are good. The case was terrific I must say, mostly convincing arguments, it just goes to a peak when Miller asks Beckett to open his shirt. Rest all was great in a very very important trial and a historical case. 

A great movie that has a relevance of taking up a social issue and fighting it to the core. This is a for sure 4/5 from me. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice review . Thanks fro sharing . Though Haven't seen it will try to buy DVD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the movie it's a damn...good movie...and intriguing review..!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche