Wednesday, February 6, 2013

BILLY ELLIOT (2000) - ENGLISH


A good film that is dramatised a lot.

Look at the scene in which Billy gets a call from school, and he leans back in the chair relieved with a sigh and there is a dramatic score that plays in the background, we all know that he is going to make it, at least I knew he is going to make it but I do not think it need to be that dramatised. 

So barring the melodrama this is a good movie in parts and touches a few right chords, like Billy's emphatic exhibition of Ballet to get a school admission or his dad saying "he is just 11 years old, lets give him a chance" these made me feel nevertheless but yet those moments were just not enough yet. 

Jamie Bell at his age, gave a supreme performance and it's a real tough thing for a 12 year boy to learn and perform ballet. Perhaps thats one of the reasons more than anything that this movie got a wide recognition. The script is good and so is the cinematography yet, there is something that makes the movie fall, and it is the editing. Remove the dramatic pieces and cut it down by 15 minutes, this wold have been a great film. Yet, the way it is, it is just good. Also, the music could have been toned down a bit to make the whole thing real

This film can be termed as a good self help movie as it helps us understand that if we have passion in something, mostly things fall in place and help us to pursue the passion. At least, that's what happened with Billy Elliot. Also a mention of Julie Walters as Mrs. Wilkinson, she was good each time and great few times.

Overall, a good film yet not a recommended one. A 3/5 only for this.

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche