Thursday, February 28, 2013

ARGO (2013) - ENGLISH


A well made film that thrives on strategy, and luck and a bit of calmness and composure.

Sure, Ben Affleck has come a long way from a Good Will Hunting Script to this film named ARGO. Don't ask me why was it named ARGO, and why the caption reads, the movie is fake, the mission is real. If you want to know better see the film. There are a few things I liked and a few things I disliked about this. 

The things I liked are the production design of setting up a 1970's troubled Iran and making us believe how real the whole film was, it showed a great depiction of the Iran Hostage crisis. The sound was great too. The performances by almost everyone were great and I loved John Goodman and above all Ben Affleck as Tony Mendez. Now, this is a real story so we are bound and handcuffed not to disagree with a few things, like how come a sudden idea sprung up to Tony and how is it approved by CIA. It happened and so we see. All, in all, I liked the sound, production, casting and acting.

Now the things I disliked was creation of a forced drama in the climax where they are caught then relieved again a fact comes to the rebels notice and they rush to stop the plane. I did not think that cinematically, it was so very needed we do not have to make a climax out of nothing. In reality, a call would have stopped the plane from take off. So this is where the director Ben Affleck needs to improve, yes undoubtedly he made a good film but if he wants to be more real and less cinematic, he needs to take out a few formulaic things. The direction has indeed faltered in few places like factually, 1950's depiction of the speeches, but I did give in to all the factual faults just that it was a bit more simpler and bit more restrained. Even the rushing up of getting an idea of making a film and getting an approval was not to my complete liking, had that been more restraint and more thought of, I would have loved that. 

By far, this comes as one of the better movies of the year and what it got is an oscar, not sure if that actually deserved coz I like Amour more than any other film of last year as I saw till now. But surely, barring Amour, this may have been the best bet with what it had, it had a realistic appeal like that of Hurt Locker, an entertaining element like that of a King's Speech, where our hero is relieved from what he has achieved. So it's good good and good but I am not sure if it's a great film, I have so many questions in my own tiny mind that keep getting back and asking me, is this the movie of the year and the answer I got after watching this not once, but twice is that "I don't think so, there are better movies than this for sure" But who needs my likes and dislikes, the majority rules this world and since the majority feels that this is the best movie for them, this won the accolades all over.  Mind you, this a thrilling documentary nevertheless and if you see it as a documentary film, then this is as fine as it gets, but as a dramatic film, it falls shirt a bit only.

Ben, sure boy you did a great job, but I wanna see you in a better director's hat than this one. I am going with 3/5 for a sure good film but I better hope for a better film next time from this director.

2 comments:

  1. True man!! I heard Canadian's contribution was overshadowed by the Tony character to please the Americans ..I agree with u about the majority's favorite.... :-) I'm Yet to see Armour...did u notice the tone of cinematography that had some grains to set the retro feel??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grains I believe were made to create a sense of documentary rather than retro is what I thought....but this is what we used to see in docu fiction movies...we used it in Hindi movies like Black Friday too

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche