Tuesday, October 30, 2012

RACHEL GETTING MARRIED (2008) - ENGLISH


A wonderful little film that breaks the shackles of commercial cinema and gives us meaningful cinema

It was nice to see the whole film revolving around a marriage Marriage process is shown in great detail, it begins with the marriage preparations and ends once marriage is over. That is, it begins with Kym's (Anne Hathway) return to home and her going back to rehab The movie, as the name states is about Kym's sister Rachel (Rosemarie Dewitt) getting married, yet its mostly about what happens with Kym all through. So, Kym is our protagonist and she is bad for her past and better for her future. She is from a rehab of drugs, thus a drug addict, she was the reason for her brother's death and for a few other bad deeds. Ok, so how will you judge a character as this. Her, mother acts as the judge at times and though, it's not all right, it's all natural.

The beauty of the script itself here is showing us how we behave and how irrational we can be with our own prejudices. Sometimes, we miss the whole point by judging someone too early.

Now, before I may squeeze out a few important terms, let me tell you one thing, don't expect a climax, don't expect a beginning, don't expect big background score and not the proper cinematography either. It's all done un-cinematically and yet done very wonderfully. Camera is hand held, and the noise is natural and mostly live recording and even songs like "Unknown Legend" (one of my favs) is sung naturally. Now, I like this kind of cinema that shows us that what we need more than a camera, the technology and those gorgeously made up actors is a script, a story that is worth telling and if told in a way natural as this, it may be mostly be liked, if not for the normal commercial movie goers but for a niche audience who are looking for a different kind of cinema. Though, I believe that this has been considered a great work in independent cinema and has it's own place there.

I liked the costumes, the whole wedding that takes place in an Indian style, we have Anne Hathway in a saree and that is great to see. Now, the whole cast did a great job in acting and Anne Hathway stood out in her performance as Kym. Wish, she garnered more awards.

All in all, it's a cinema for those who love cinema and a 4/5 for a movie that you like only if you have patience to sit through the whole wedding of not yours but someone else, who is unrelated to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche