Sunday, October 28, 2012

CHITTAGONG (2012) - HINDI


A great period film technically and it is a rare film to come.

Now, what would yo do when a film that you have waited for, does not release in your city, you will simply download the pirated print in internet or rather wait for the DVD and then watch it. Damn, I downloaded it from the internet and watched it and I am also going to buy DVD for this is worth a buy. 

Hmm, it's great in terms of production design, cinematography and sound design. Wow, take a bow you guys, you guys gave us a near authentic picture of the history. The story is what that was happened and thanks for this not being melodramatic and rather stuck to what has happened that forcing the audience into a typically sympathetic expression which is mostly done in these freedom struggle films.

Thankfully, I did not see the other version of the same story made by Ashutosh Gowariker as 'Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Se' and I did not see that only for one reason and that is Abhishek Bachhan as the leader. 

So here, we have a better actor Manoj Bajpai play Surya Sen, the Masterda, who has devised a plan to capture Chittagong with a guerrilla war against the British Empire. As it happens to most revolutionaries be it Che Guevara or Bhagat Singh, they die and here does too, but he leaves a profound impact on our protagonist Jhunku who comes back to take on the British Empire. Also, the small sub plot between Nirmal and the first woman revolutionary Preetilata Waddedar played by Vega Tamotia is what I liked the most. Also a mention of Ashanullah Khan the CID officer who was ruthless, boy he did his part fabulously.

Wow, so the Master has taught something significant to his student and the student follows it with heart even though despite being imprisoned for acting against the British. The characters did their play their parts well. The young Jhunku played by Delzad Hilwale and Nirmal Da played by Nawazuddin Siddiqui stood out. All other english actors just were fine and am happy for such great cast coming together to make a motion picture such as this. So kudos to producers who have encouraged the vision of Bedrabata Pain, the director and helped him achieve a film as it stands today. 

Now, coming to other departments, it is editing that could have been better. Even at just 90 minutes, this film feels a tad longer may be because we are used to such stories and we know the end as well. 
Yet, it's film that is textured with the freedom struggle and has a flavour for sure like many great period films. The songs are apt and 'Bolo Na' is number that I will keep listening for sure, thanks to lyricist Prasoon Joshi the Shankar Ehsaan Loy trio for this number.


It's a 4/5 just for the effort and pain of the director Bedabrata Pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche