Wednesday, September 16, 2015

SIDE EFFECTS (2013) - ENGLISH

A good psychological thriller that should be watched for terrific directing.

Steven Soderbergh has yet again proved that he is indeed a straightforward director and shows the issues as they exist. No camouflage, no melodrama that is basically no nonsense. He is best in such scripts and not the remakes like he did for Ocean's Eleven. Thankfully, this is such a script where he can handle things and show them in a real way. There is no surrealism, no hallucinations or no drugs here. It's a story of a girl who is psychologically fine but is actually under medication due to reasons of her own.

For nearly three fourth of the film, I thought this film is about the corruption in the medical industry, the nexus between pharmaceutical companies and doctors. Also, I thought that this film is about murder too. But in reality, it is something else.

Rooney Mara has done a terrific job. Her best is still "The girl with the dragon tattoo" but "Side Effects" stands as one of her top performances.

The cinematography is wonderful and the sound design is in tune with the visuals. The sound gave a spine-chilling feel for me. But I wish so, there was fine-tuning in the edit to cut few scenes to make it racier.

Above all, it's a straight script that is superbly directed. I am going with 3/5  for this. Definitely a good one, but falls a tad below in greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche