Monday, September 23, 2013

THE LUNCHBOX (2013) - HINDI


I have seen an epistolary play in the form of "LOVE LETTERS" and now there is a epistolary film in the form of "THE LUNCHBOX". I am so lucky to have been part of this. Lunchbox is a definite watch for few emotions that are rarely touched upon in Indian films.

Before I review the movie, I have liked 3 Indian movies this year. LOOTERA. BHAAG MILKHA BHAAG and SHIP OF THESEUS. If Lootera was a fable romance story, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag lifted my spirits and the SHIP OF THESEUS did jolt my consciousness and make me ask many questions. But Lunchbox dug deeper in few emotional aspects. It asked me if I crave for love, long for someone, do I have a heart that empathises with the aspects of companion and how long will I go   .

Longing is an universal feeling and that's well portrayed depicted and put in this film. Yet, I too was longing for more after the film. Wish that the film was more in length. In just about 1 hour, its hard to induce a feeling so deep and that's what I believe was the only drawback. 

The performances were simply superb and even sublime. Nawazuddin Siddiqui was the charmer and the bright spot who brought smiles. Nimrat Kaur was a married yet lonely wife and a caring mother. Irrfan Khan was the perfect gentleman and a serious type who craves for companionship and when he finds, he gives it away with his own prejudices. These three actors are just too good but again in 1 hour they are very short lived and I was craving even for their acting and more of their emotions.

The sound editing was at time overlapping but otherwise it gave a realistic feel. The art direction, cinematography were well complemented. The screenplay excelled at places and threw a few surprises too like the coffee shop scene. A few scenes were repetitive which besotted with a sense of deja vu. It indeed worked for the film as it made me feel living a mundane life of the character. The dialogues are witty and smart.

If I ever a crib, then it's about the story, well its made of few letters and they do not reveal more emotions. That's one thing I again wanted to see more. Overall it left me disappointed in aspects of time and emotions as they were very short lived. Else, it would have been a wonderful film. Having said that, on the face of it, I like the movie though not loved it. Maybe the interval break which was uncalled for in such a short movie, spoiled the joy. I need to see this without a break so will get a DVD of this.

A 4/5 for this and by no means it can be missed. But you watch and decide please. This is one of the most simplistic films you may have seen.Also, I felt hungry after watching this, I just loved the kofta made in this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche