Friday, July 27, 2012

THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (1985) - ENGLISH


Wonderful, delightful film right out of the screen from Woody Allen.

There is a movie played within this film and it's name is Purple Rose of Cairo where and adventurer seeks Purple Rose, that's where the name has been derived from. Like the purple is still sough life is still sought and joy is deprived to our protagonist Cecilia. 

Acted superbly as any actor under the master director Woody Allen does, Mia Farrow and Jeff Daniels have done well. This is the first film I saw of Mia Farrow and she is quite an exciting actress I must say.
Set in 1930's depression era, the art direction is quite great as the shallowness in lives of people and so in the spaces in USA is captured well. 

Cinematography is just there and its very well edited, keeping it down to 82 minutes and thats enough to bring someone out of screen and throw him in again.  Screenplay and story, Oh I loved it I must say but will I watch it again, may be not coz there are not many lines that shall make me sit and watch it again. 

It's a surreal movie and yes it has a symbolism too, Cecilia (Mia Farrow) is drawn into her own figments of imagination and she gets what he thinks about that is being with a lovable man, who walks straight out of the screen and meets her in real life. So reel life Tom (Jef Daniels) meets Cecilia. Now Tom is just a character and his real life is Gil Shepherd (Jeff Daniels) and then when a choice is given to Cecilia, she chooses the real life Gil and is succumbed to reality that its not that way the life goes. 
Tom goes back into screen, Gil goes back to Hollywood but with guilt. Cecilia is now back to her escapade, the movies and this watching Top Hat as the song 'Cheek to Cheek' is played.

I have revealed the whole story I think but don't apologize me for that coz even after I put the whole thing here, its worth a watch atleast once.

I will give it 4/5 still coz I am happy for watching it. Thanks Woody Allen for such a wonderful screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche