Thursday, July 19, 2012

I AM SAM (2001) - ENGLISH






Good intentions need not necessarily get good feedback.

Acted supremely and so terrifyingly by Sean Penn as Sam this is too accurate depiction of an autistic and developmental disability and is really worth many an award for such portrayal of Sam.

The plot is now that Sam is a father the state too his daughter assuming the fact that Sam cannot take care of Lucy, his daughter and Sam has a case to win her back. Now sympathy cannot be evoked just by showing disability and he wins the heart of a reluctant lawyer Rita and now he fights to win her daughter back

there in is a flaw in convincing or trying to convince people too easily from a neighbor to a judge to his manager, Sam does pull off things so easily that are tough for a normal man to achieve. So his own disability becomes his aide and made me question are there so many good men and then realised oh its just a movie. This is where it has lost the moment it deprived me of a possibility and convinced me that its just a movie, it went down by a few points.

Yet Sean Penn is outstanding and this movie becomes a watch only for him. now all others seem to be acting for the fabrication of scenes written by writer director Jessie Nelson.Cinematography is not so great but art direction is setting up Sams room is editing too is a bit lethargic and the affectionate scene between Sam and Rita is not so needed. Other departments just fared well and is acting too is good.

It's over sentimentality has made this just an average flick which could have otherwise been a must watch for the way Sam was portrayed by Sean Penn. its 2/5 for an average story and sublime acting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you gave a very low rating for such a wonderful work of art. I had to disagree about some points you've said about the movie. About your opinion of questioning whether there are still so many good people around, what you've said seemed like bias to me. You can never know when a man's good intentions shows. I actually knew of a true story about an autistic boy who had the chance to feel he was loved and happy before he died when a group of kids playing baseball let him play with them. The two teams encouraged and supported him and even though they purposely let him win, the point of the act was about giving that boy a chance to become normal, that he was not that different from the rest of us. So don't say that good men are only for movies. You have to meet a lot of different kinds of people to actually know.

    Secondly, when you said that it's only because of Sean Penn's acting that gave life to the movie, for a second I thought you weren't actually watching it at all. I'm not an expert in cinematography but contrary to your belief that it 'is not so great', I really like the way they uniquely focus the characters. Plus, the girl who acts as Lucy is very convincing. And don't forget Rita. She played it nicely.

    Lastly before it got too long, judging the movie by saying it's overly sentimental, I thought that maybe you hadn't grasp the essence of the message the movie sent to the viewers. All you did was criticize the movie based on the way it was filmed and heck even the room. What's that got to do with the story? Isn't the movie all about showing that even if some people have disabilities, they are capable of loving and caring for others. That being a parent is not easy. The struggle. The pain. The metaphors? Didn't you have connection with any of the characters? If you don't, then I suggest you watch it again without any prejudice.

    Writing a movie review isn't all about pure opinions. You have to put facts and while you've written so many negative things, try putting some positive to balance it out. Rate it not just because of the acting and the cinematography but on how the movie can affect the lives of people. You said you strive for excellence so why don't you start with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allain Baetiong ----- Man you are bang on and your comment is surely the best criticism I have ever got, surely I agree I will strive for excellence in reviewing. Having said that, this is a movie thats superb for Sean Penn and it has a daughter father relationship that beautifully etched out, my crib actually was that people have become good towards sam by being sympathetic realising his disability and that's where I had to differ Allain being sympathetic and winning hearts just does not go for me, I mean too many people showing good things to Sam and then trying to win hearts of the audience is where I missed it maybe. coming to Cinematography, mostly indoors and a few shots in car and outdoors, the camera just did its job than adding value to the emotions,

      Having said all the above, you may term me as an ill written reviewer or a cynic and sorry for missing a few facts atleast how it did affect people, this is probably one movie that is remade as far as I know in 3 languages and Sam is played by really good actors of India. Like Ajay Devgan in "Main Aisa Hi Hoon" and Vikram in "Deivatirumagan", "Nanna" so thats how most Indians respected this film by showing the same story in their own languages. THus, adding a few sensibilities as per the nativity. Sure, it has affected a lot of lives and tributes have been played for this. Instead of looking at its magnanimity, I viewed it thru a microscope maybe and thsts where I missed the point as you said.

      Thanks a ton Allain for your exceedingly valuable comment.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche