Sunday, July 22, 2012

SHERLOCK JR (1924) - ENGLISH


Small in length but extravagant in presentation.

This 44 minute length feature film was made in 1924 and yet it entertained me today. So thus, length did not matter for entertainment and so did the era in which it was made. There were no dialogues aand no sound expectedly and yet this comedy made me laugh. Now, Buster Keaton, the actor and the creator behind must be appreciated and I believe has been a master in making movies in the silent era. 

You got sentiment, love, suspense and oh wow, stunts in form of chases and all are very very original. Yes, its unnatural and totally fabricated but whats best about this tiny film is that is its very surreal. Like a dream  sequence, the events are well placed and there is lot of happening each time. Events happen in a dream and that makes it surreal and though we know it was dream, its just so seemingly and funnily real. Yes, those stunts are made to convince us that such things were possible and hats off to the director Buster Keaton who took great risks in performing such acts and creating laughs even today.

Now, the story, oh, don't bother its about a man who tries to do two things and succeeds in neither except in dreams. This includes his profession, his passion and a girl whom he is attracted to. 

Editing is not even needed as it is just 44 minutes and not a moment is wasted. It's well made for laughs and gave me fun. Thanks Keaton for giving us this. It's 4/5 for one of the earliest movies that had superb stunts, had movie in a movie and yes so very dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche