Saturday, July 14, 2012

AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997) - ENGLISH


A film that has its shortcomings yet rises above in performances.

Who would be interested in an insane writer, his neighboring painter and a waitress who has a sad marriage. And bring these three up you have As Good As It Gets, a small film that is done so wonderfully by its leads Jack Nicholson as Melvin Udall and Helen Hunt as Carol. It's hard not to fall in love with these characters or their eccentricities and histrionics. Also to mention Greg Kinnear as Simon who does a pretty good job. Now what about the dog Verdell who too has shown good emotions and responded pretty naturally. Now, done with performances appraisal, now lets rip the movie with its further study.

Screenplay is lethargic rather placid I must say and its a long drawn out for nearly more than 2 hours to convey a point and to express a feeling. Now, situations had to be fabricated to squeeze such feelings out of the characters and this is where I did not like it, like the road trip to understand each other or the act to have a doctor see Carol's son. These are a few overboard things in which is otherwise a pretty decent film. 

The direction is not so much there and rather unappreciable in adding up unwanted scenes here and there and making it a bit messy than needed. Now, having said all the above, dialog by Mark Andrus and James L Brooks is outstanding and thats what sets this film engaging though scattered and long. All other departments are just fine and have done their job rather commendably.

I give it a 3/5 a good one for sure just and supreme acting and good dialog makes it a worth romantic comedy. I wish our Telugu or even Hindi Films are more subtle and simple like this one.


Look at this so well written scene and dialog

Melvin is having a room service breakfast.


The door opens... Simon enters. A new Simon -- better than ever, clearly happy -- a morning-after glow.

MELVIN : Did you have sex with her?

Carol follows his out. Her arms are filled with the hotel soaps, shampoos, etc.

MELVIN : Sorry, didn't realize she was right there.
   (a beat)
  Did you have sex with her?

CAROL : To hell with sex.

Carol looks at Melvin -- he can't meet her gaze.

CAROL : We held each other. It was better than sex. What I need he gave me great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche