Thursday, July 12, 2012

GULAAL (2010) - HINDI


Power packed, enthralling and a must watch.

This is a movie that is inspired from a song "yeh duniya" from Pyaasa (1957) and comes out completely powerful and gripping. The director Anurag Kashyap is playful with his symbolism and his characters. Symbolism is really a tough thing to decipher and that's what makes this one each time enjoyable when I watched it.

Let me go through symbolism, Piyush Mishra refers to John Lennon as "His Highness Imagine Singh". "Nihilism" is written on black board of a law classroom, now how do we interpret each thing and why were such things placed. Even Ardhnaari is a character that is just inexplicable and yet symbolic perhaps to underachievers.

Coming to characters, each one has a flavor from and impertinent Bhati to all important Duki Bana and even the ladies have their say. Kiran among all ladies is so very underplayed and yet comes out as the most powerful woman. From a flamboyant Rananjay to a dogmatic and naive Dileep Singh, each one has been outstandingly written and equally well portrayed.

A story of fighting for separate state has never been darker and interesting than this one. All kudos to Anurag to have perceived this story and told it so well. Now to add to the color of the movie, comes in Piyush Mishra who not only acts but also provides music and writes the songs for this and makes this tale poetically beautiful. How can the already superb song "yeh duniya" be re interpreted, how can a powerful song as "sheher" be placed at funeral.

Listen to the music and it's not just poetically beautiful, there it's satirical and even philosophical. Indian Ocea too gives a song with "Yaara Maula" that says how students are being handed weapons instead of books. Just can't get over the music of this film.

Watch out for more, for one of the most powerful movies and thanks to Kay Kay, who does an outstanding job as Duki Bana. I love Rananjay more though as a character..

Watch it watch it watch it. Its 4/5 and one of the best movies of the decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche