Sunday, September 7, 2014

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (1965) - ENGLISH


A terrific film on the cold war espionage that is shoot in an era of cold war and seems extremely real.

Perhaps, all this was real. Though this was an adaptation from the fiction novel of the same name written by John Le Carre. It depicts cold bloodedness and the brutality of the cold war era (1945-1991) when it was at it's peak in 1950's and 1960's. The writing is impeccable and sharp. To make a complex novel which involves many characters, most of whom are not in the scene but are mere references who will never be shown is a challenge in itself. We never know, who the actual Control was, the actual English spies were. 

There is a whole lot of verbiage that seemed new to me. Despite the fact that I have seen a similar film called "TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY" based on the same novel by the same novelist John Le Carre. I suppose Carre is a supreme writer of the cold war espionage films and his ability and detailing are unmatched. 

The acting is supreme by an ensemble cast led by Richard Burton. The cinematography and the production design were great and the style shall be replicated in many espionage films going forward too. But it's the writing and the acting above all that make this a must watch. 

I am happy to have seen this though years later. Also, I am intrigued more now by what have happened to those spies and what all went on in that era between, the british, the germans and the Russians. 

A 4/5 for this film. 

If interested please read my review of 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche