Sunday, September 21, 2014

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964) - ENGLISH

It's a film that began the great march of the sphagetti western cowboy films with a distinct style.

This film is not so great in itself when compared to other films of the same director Sergio Leone and even the actor Clint Eastwood. But it's instrumental in starting up the legacy of the Western films in a way that was not seen before. The cinemascope view, the stylish and less speaking man with No Name. The precise editing and the landscapes mostly set in New Mexico state or there about in America. The soundtrack that is signature guitar and has some strings and chorus of Ennio Morricone and brought him to Hollywood.

This film was made prior to the great film "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" and this film is great in it's own right. There were Westerns being made before this film too, but this set a precedent in style which was to inspire many film makers later and still continues to inspire. 

The format of the film as I have read in references follows Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo". Perhaps, the format was already present but Clint Eastwood certainly took this film to another level. There is lot of curiosity he generated whenever he had the hands on his gun, when he lit a cigar, when he rode the horse. clint Eastwood began a style that shall be there forever in cinema. The walk, the look, the minimal dialogue speaks a lot for itself. 

I loved the music of Ennio Morricone which is a big part of Sergio Leones films and this soundtrack is supreme. This film is only around 100 minutes and I suppose is the shortest of all other Sergio Leone Western films. So the editing is terrific too. 

A 4/5 for this great Western. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche