Saturday, March 23, 2013

DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012) - ENGLISH


I am missing the Tarantino in this, I loved in earlier films.

Except for a the gun-fire that opens up to eliminate all possible misdeeds, and people who did a thing with a purpose, there was no much fun in this. It is a Sphagetti western film based in 1850's but it seemed so flawed that I was not so sure, if there were such cool goggles, guns and was the ride so easy to Mississippi. 

Yes Tarantino took liberties in showing everything from style to substance is what mislead the whole film. Maybe my problem is I expected too much out this, just trusting the ability and the genius of Tarantino. But he has disappointed me this time. And worse is it is overlong and is nearly 3 hours. Hey, Quentin what got into you man, you made a satire of a Sphagetti and not a tribute.

Yes, I sincerely think this is more of a satire than a tribute. Look at the way the whole plan is chalked out, the way the music plays in background. King Schultz played by Christoph Waltz is the one to whom this whole film belongs to. Once he is dead, it was just an extension to make Django the hero in the latter half hour and that was not what I wanted. For me, Django is one in many, he would better be that. He is never shown to have a brain of his own, coz he is lead and dictated by Schultz for most time. Once Schultz is no more, he takes the mantel onto himself and destroys the whole of it. Wow, what does that mean now, for me it meant nothing much. Is such bloodshed, such a journey all for a wife, who could have been given may be by the wisdom of Schultz who was shown to have a wisdom of a very high altitude. 

The look, the style, the cinematography were well in place, but the heart was clearly missing. It's neither soulful nor so dead that there is no life in it. It's very much alive just that it's not so interesting as other movies from the same creator and that'w what my whole crib is about. 

Mundane is rather be a harsh word to say for such a western film, but its surely simplified story with eccentric characters and dialogues. Django by Jamie Foxx, is one of the weakest characters in the film and yet surprisingly the whole film is about him. Samuel Jackson as Stephen is a complete surprise package from looks to dialogues. Leanardo Dicaprio as Calvin Candie, the villain of the film is cunning just as needed to the script. Yet, Leanardo was not yet unleashed to the full potential as he should have been. Now, Chirstoph Waltz as Shultz makes the film his own, by displaying an array of cold bloodedness and makes the film his own. Despite, the presence of the other actors, Waltz shines and wow, I just loved him in this. 

Editing could have been taken care very well. Seriously, at least one hour could have been curtailed down. Tarantino, you mislead me this time and for next time, please make a much better one place. 

A 2/5 for an good film made as an average flick by one of the master directors alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche