Friday, August 31, 2012

M (1931) - GERMAN



It was great then, but is it so now? I really doubt

Sure it had one of the finest acting in the climax, but 80 years later and having seen many movies that had superb acting in climaxes like Few Good Men being one, this falls short. Also, it comes as a tad silly than what it truly was, like a Monster being searched extraneously and at the end is found out by a girl and is marked M on his shirt which he cannot rub and erase. Oh, this one thing bothered me a lot. Also, at the end when this man is supposed to be brutally punished for what he has done, he brings up a case of his own that he too deserves a chance. Fine then, what was the whole point of the film is what I had thought.

Intriguing with suspense as to what is going to happen for the first half, it falls flat as per the expectations the film arose in me. Oh, he even hides in a place where he is very easily caught. Damn, was it for this man that the whole of police found, it's like making mockery of police searches which was an innovative thing as long as in 30's.

Fritz Lang who was than considered a great director if had seen the film now, would not have liked it as it is too very obvious at many places. He did a good job just to throw it off at the end is what I firmly believe. Yet, this a good film for what it does is make us sit and watch with a hope that something great or something gruesome is going to happen. Nothing of that sort though happens but we are relived by superb acting and great production design and oh, yes good music that for a film in 1930's is a great sign.

Its is by no means bad, yet it does not become a great film as per me. It is just average as it did not reach what I have really expected it to be. A 2/5 for a movie by Lang that is more or less social message oriented and is filled with suspense that rises to a peak just to fall flat later.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, quite an informative review, Brad :)
    So, do you suggest watching this movie?

    Jay
    http://road-to-sanitarium.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No man, I do not suggest but there are so many lovers you can check out on imdb....

      And hey how can I join your blog dude...

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche