Thursday, December 27, 2012

MITHUNAM (2012) -TELUGU


Let me tell you a scene just before I went to the screen to watch this film.

A middle-aged couple in their 40's came in their along with the parents an old couple in 70's. the old man and lady got down while the middle-aged couple did not the old man said "meeru kooda randi raa ee cinema ki" to which the man in car replied, "aa memu em choostamu le ee cinemani meeru choosi randi". The old couple took tickets while the middle-aged couple left in their car. So such is the notion of the audience, I agree we are all driven by our own prejudices and that lets us down at times. But the question is, to what extent are we let down by our prejudices?

I wanted to write the review of this movie specifically in Telugu but my Telugu is not great (as if my English is great) but I manage well in English and thus penning it down.

It's just and simply great and I loved it to begin with. 

This took me to nostalgia to 3 great movies of last 20 years "seeta ramiah gaari manavaru" "aithe" "grahanam" all those are completely different but are great and I place "mithunam" there .

With just one old couple a movie is told and not for a moment we see a face apart from Appadasu and Buchhi. Yet, these 2 characters are enough to wrench the hearts and make eyes moist many a time in this near the 105-minute film. 

Take yourself to 65 years of age and make yourself alone with just you and your wife now what shall be the best past time think you may get many answers but for Appadasu its food and food and food.

He begins by explaining in great detail how to make brinjal pickle ("vankaya pachhadi") then makes "dappalam" (mukkala pulusu) with his own hands then crushes jackfruit to make jackfruit curry ("panasa pottu koora") and even enjoys an overnights bitter gourd soup ("kaakarakaaya pulusu"). No wonder I was feeling so hungry in the theatre that I cant say and I enjoyed my dinner later very much.

The dialogues and even songs are related to food look at these for example 

"Dappalamu, Daampathyamu marigina koddi ruchi"
"Tatvaalu Paadetappudu tambura sruti laa undaali kottimeera"

But the best dialogue is this

"Manishilaa puttadam telike batakatame kashtam" 
(It's easy being born as a human but its tough to live like a human)

The songs in the film apart from those in titles are "Coffee Dandakam" and "Avakaaya manadira" and both are worth a listen for their lyrics alone. 

It's an ode to marriage and elderly life. The elderly couple loves everything around them, be it their cow Savitri or the trees that give fruits and flowers to them. They are self-sufficient and grow everything in their garden itself and wow it was beautiful. 

Being away from their own kids do not bother them, rather Appadasu wants to end his life, just being in that home with his wife. So, they even pass away being together and well, the climax is an interpretation of what each one thought would have happened. 

It's a film that went perfectly for me, from the titles Mithunam where the sun comes in the middle of 'థ'to the last frame where an empty chair was shown, it just wet fluidly as if poetry was being recited in a mellowed voice.

After the movie finished, an old man said as a remark "Bhojana Priyulaku Kashtame" and the whole theater erupted in laughter.

It's a rare 5/5 for a Telugu Movie and I loved it. Now, don't go expecting a story or great turnaround or cinematic climax. Sometimes simple is more beautiful than anything. But be patient it's too slow. And more, it may not work for many of my generation guys as they may not be able to relate it. But I hope they give a try. I am saying this, knowing that many would prefer staying away from the movie like the earlier mentioned couple did.

Thanks to Lakshmi, SP Balasubramanyam and Tanikella Bharani who have taken this wonderful story to greater heights by depiction and direction. Also thanks to Sriramana who has written the story.

4 comments:

  1. wow your review is so good that I want to watch the movie now :) I am tempted to watch it because of this review so :) will try if I can get to see this

    good one Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why people are saying that there are only two characters; wouldn't it be boring. I quiet do not get that concept, cause even having too many people in a 2:20 duration movie can make it very boring. About this generation, in every generation there are people who enjouy different things; personally am bored watching factionism, jeeps flying in the air, bloody flowing like water. After reading many reviews feel like Tanikella Bharanigaru has given a classic, That cannot be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's indeed is a classic chichi and thanks for the comment

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche