Tuesday, May 15, 2012

SABRINA (1954) - ENGLISH


A joyous movie that is dramatic in tone and humorous in presentation.

OK, a story of a rich boy poor girl and to make it more interesting is a triangular love story and to make it more interesting is the two boys who fall for same girl are brothers and to make more interesting is that the girl is their driver's daughter. Enough of revealing the plot now.

It's SABRINA's story that is played by Audrey Hepburn with histrionics that are good for the scene and with emotions that are apt, she made Sabrina a lovely lively girl. Humphrey Bogart is just fine though I saw a bit of discomfort in few of hi emotions especially when is trying to hide his emotions from Sabrina. William Holden is the lover boy and seems apt in it. 

All said an above is handling of acting and expressions by Billy Wilder, the master director. I actually resort to his movies when I am not in good mood and he brings back a smile on me. This movie does that very thing again, he sets the screen on a serene charming pace that as the things fold we just are so lethargically in love with the whole it. 

If there has to be a mention after writing and acting, then it's editing and costume design. A scene where Sabrina denies going out just because its not the right attire speaks for the care taken to keep the dresses right. The dialogues are actually very beautifully told, rain in Paris, oh, such a nice thought. 

See it to know how romantic are conversations. I believe if you need to have a beautiful romantic film, then the conversation between the boy and girl needs to be romantic is every word. They have to be like poetry, fluid, enticing and ah so touching. This movie may not be having all such traits yet each conversation lights up and adds flamboyance. 

I go with 4/5 for Sabrina.

If you are not willing to see this movie in purest form, then see it in a corrupted form of "Yeh Dillagi" in Hindi by Akshay Kumar, Kajol and Saif Ali Khan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche