Monday, June 16, 2014

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (2014) - ENGLISH


Heroes are made in most unexpected circumstances. 

Courage is what takes a man forward. I think the director of this film Dean DeBlois believes that strongly. Because, his belief is evident in the treatment of the film. From characterisation to emotions and even a including a humorous tiny sub plot. This film comes of as a sequel that dares to beat the original itself. 

Its multi layered in terms of screenplay and characterisation. Look at the scene where Hiccup discovers a strange place and in that a person whom he missed. The conversations are good and are deep in emotion. Even the tiny discovery of using the flaps on the tail of Toothless seems endearing. The small things add up to the big picture and give us a magnanimous feeling. Never there was a dull moment in this pacy animated film. 

Whilst most animated films have to indulge in a song dance sequence, lot of peppy feel-good music and histrionics of the characters. This film, keeps it pretty simple, it cuts straight into the story, does not waste a moment in discovering characters and the purpose of the film and then achieves it without much hype. Damn, terrific is the writing and kudos to the director Dean DeBlois for his bravery. As it has been said "Fortune Favours the Brave" and this film proves that saying yet again.

The editing is sharp, the cinematography is super and the animation is simply class apart. It embeds the motion picture and the typical storyboard animation beautifully and in an IMAX 3D, it comes alive. Thanks to the pain the animators took in detailing. It's all rendered beautifully on screen.

DreamWorks is not a PIXAR yet, I suppose if it sticks to films like these, I hope it can better that animation company. Of course, since TOY STORY 3, PIXAR did not stand up to it's name yet. And apart from the Shrek franchise DreamWorks itself did not make it big. With this Franchise, I suppose it has got it's breakthrough and can make it big. 

This is a rare sequel and a gem of a film. It's not for kids alone, they have company and the adults will love it. It's dark and yet humorous. I loved it and hopefully you will too. A 4/5 for this. 

Link for the review of the first film in the series : 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche