Tuesday, January 30, 2018

LION (2016) - ENGLISH

An emotional drama where I wept happily and would love to revisit the film again.

The film is a real story and that's what made the emotions so overwhelming. "Heart-rending", "Heart-wrenching", "Tear-jerking" and many such words would be an underwhelming description of what this film is. This is the story of a boy who lost his family in his childhood and found them back many years later and thanks to technology for that.

The performances are terrific my the whole cast and I loved the special performance by the kid "Sunny Pawar" who played the young Saroo. His performance was full of life and hope. The way he cried, laughed and felt loved was extremely moving and yet realistic. I was so happy with his performance that I dare say, he is one the finest finds in acting from India in recent times. 

This being a film from Australian director with Hollywood production, I expected most of the dialog to be in English while to my surprise more than half of the film in Hindi. Also, most of the film seems to have been shot in India and it showed the real India, I mean the villages, the stone pickers and the lives of the poor. It was heartening and also heartbreaking such is the irony in India and it was captured beautifully.

The film was based in 1986 and then moves to 2008 and I was in awe of the production design. The coal engines of trains, the roads, the poverty in 1980's were depicted realistically with great finesse and detail.

Garth Davis is a director to watch out for, I feel he chooses the right subject matter and makes it believable. He kept the film rooted and authentic and that's where the film scored huge points. I hope to see more such hopeful films from this director.

A 4/5 for a movie that made me sob for a good part and yet made me happy at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche