Sunday, March 25, 2012

KAHAANI (2012) - HINDI


A gripping thriller that succeeds at many places but yet has not so convincing climax.

Evenutally, though it evokes many emotions it would have appealed more to me if it did not explain so many things at the end. No spoon feeding was required and I would have been happy walking out with questions in mind than being fed the answers. The cinematography and acting were top notch. The dialogues were a bit cliched yet impressive as they went with the mood of the scene. The pace of the movie is really appreciable and so is the lengths about 2 hours.

If I would say what the movie is about, it would be OK, but if I would say what the movie shall reveal, I may well spoil the whole point. Being an ardent film lover, I would express this much, the journey is enjoyable and reveals many points of views but I felt like being deceived by the point of view of the narrator, who makes our protagonist, Vidya Bagchi into a demi goddess, alias Durga Maa. 

The film was shot in real locations and has very good feel in terms of locales, where in Kolkata can be felt and smelt at places, like the Trams, the buses, the chai wallah, etc.. But why Kolkata? was this chosen because it had a metro, or because of Durga Puja and the white and red sari tradition or just getting us cut off from the now overseen Mumbai or was it because director Sujoy Ghosh was from Kolkata. I would subscribe to the last reason though. Same story, set in any other city may have been dealt differently, cause the topography, the dialect, the outlook towards life of people will change. Kudos for director in setting up the whole screenplay and spreading across the length and breadth of Kolkata. 

The story is about a wife searching for her husband, and there are few very very evident flaws as I have seen. 2 years after an incident, how can a woman become pregnant or at least be seen as pregnant. If policeman can make out another policeman his agent, then what are we being driven to, a mockery of system that has honesty under the veil. 

OK, I give in to the logic, to everything for nearly two hours, why was such an explanation given so elaborately explaining incident by incident and how did the policeman Rana just on fly, conclude what he said about Vidya Bagchi in climax. Question still remain, but I would have been happier if the twist was subtle and simple rather than explicative. Happy for everything but the end. 

A movie that has to be watched only on the praise it accrued through, but dont feel bad if you are disappointed in the end. Expectation and tastes differ. It's 3/5 for me, a good movie till a point where the purpose of story is revealed. It was better being hidden. I would have been happier coming out with questions rather than being clarified about every tiny instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche