Saturday, March 31, 2012

HUGO (2011) - ENGLISH


A movie that begins notoriously and ends nonchalantly. A trip worth taking. 

The name HUGO is the character played by a boy who fixes things. He begins by fixing machines and by the end fixes humans too. It's a simple and yet so well presented. Director Martin Scorcese who is legendary and has a vision of a genius brings this out beautifully right from the very first frame. The scene where the camera traverses all possible things just to give us the glimpse of where the boy is right at the beginning is in itself a statement and the mood has been set for the ride. 

This in itself seemed to be a Martin Scorcese biopic as the one who had to find himself in his movies. He was not lost or absent, he was there all these years, yet something was missing, something what I loved in Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas was missing and Hugo just brought his touch back. That is, the movie digresses into various subplots and yet the central theme remains a stand out. The whole trip begins with the hint of a girl being avoided for movies. It takes from there on to a different level of discovering a masterpiece and the master behind it.

So in his discovery, there are so many things that unfold and the best part is to know how cinema was made. So I loved this in every way and I wish Scorcese just keeps the film rolling and brings out more adventures like this.

Scorcese made documentaries on great film makers like Kubrick etc.. but this was his greatest tribute to cinema in itself.

A 4/5 for a movie that's a must watch. I wish it was released in India so that I can catch the 3D fun, but I am happy with the blu ray I got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche