Sunday, February 12, 2012

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) - ENGLISH


A compelling drama and a best written work for celluloid as far courtroom drama goes.

Written as a novel and adapted as a screenplay, made as a film, the century's most widely known novel is one of the finest pieces of writing.  Now, you have half job done, the best work is written, but Robert Mulligan as a director has to handle a tougher task, he has to bring a well written and much known work with life and living characters onto the screen. Man, he does this job with flying colors. Firstly, the acting be it a Tom Robinson or a Mayella or a lesser known Cunningham, all have done exceptionally well. Above all stands, Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, a disciplined father and a lovable one indeed. He brings life to a character of rare dignity that is realistic yet ideal.   

Told through the eyes of a small girl Jean Finch, this story is one good one to hear or see. It has many moments that give us a lump in the throat. The climax is a befitting one and is symbolism of "Natures judgement". The courtroom acting of Tom Robinson and Finch and Mayella is enough to say that even for a brief 20 minutes of courtroom scene, this movie is still considered as one of the best courtroom dramas. That was the power and passion involved in the making.

Acting and wrting both are sublime and all else just falls in place, be it art direction or background score, they would have been good anyways, with the acting that we see it is obvious why it is hailed as a textbook for classic acting and same is the case with writing too.

I loved it and am hopeful any one who see it will. 

Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain,a knife and our lives. 

That dialogue summarizes most of the movie.


But the very point that is being said is humanism, we alienate humans with our own prejudices, be it a beggar or a toilet cleaner even guards at offices are not treated as humans as we feel as if we are above them, there is only color and it colorless, there is only one caste and religion that is humanity. 


It's a 5/5 without any doubt and please request all to see it. Have patience though,  we have to endure it.
Watch it for acting and writing above everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche