Saturday, February 11, 2012

THE APARTMENT (1960) - ENGLISH


As the poster says, there has never been anything like the Apartment.

A movie that begins with a man at his desk and then revolves between two places mostly, his apartment and his office and that involves humor in a way just as we talk, a wicked sarcasm hidden under the wraps of humour.

What makes The Apartment so very engaging is its acting and writing, both just go hand in hand, as written and directed by Billy, he extracted the exact output of what he aspired to, this reflection is evident in every frame. And this ability to extract acting as required per the script is what makes Billy Wilder one of the best directors. 

He took the writing seriously and wrote almost each dialogue and frame along with I.A.L Diamond, so well that I could just connect to everything that was going on screen. Jack Lemmon as Baxter is sublime and has that rarer innocent face, that does not need histrionics to act, but is so very natural. Shirley Maclaine as the very straight and at times funny Fran Kubelik, brought life into a character that was otherwise very casual. All other actors did their part so very aptly.

Now coming to other aspects, this film has such subtleties and are handled so very well without any noise, its a take into the psyche of each character and what is special is that we can firstly relate to chracters and even empathize to either one of them. So written ahead of it's time and acted superbly well, this is a classic that has stood the test of time. When I watched it even today, was so refreshing.

Thanks to Billy Wilder for presenting a great movie. It's 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche