Wednesday, November 13, 2013

FRANCES HA (2013) - ENGLISH

I revel in the exploration of music and movies and am very happy to have found this film. Here, I share my feelings about this film. My review goes like this

An admirable film that relates to growing up, understanding relationships and more so seeking companionship.

At 27, in America, you are naturally expected to be with someone either in a physical relationship or dating or engaged. But, Frances Ha does not have any of those, she is seeking and trying to find if there is someone or hoping that may someone find her. Staying with her girlfriend 'Sophie' there is a world she has made of her own and tries to do something good for Sophie and herself always.  

Derived from the name of the character which is Frances Haliday and portrayed superbly by Greta Grewig who has brought life to the character. Greta Grewig plays it extremely convincingly and with complete control over every nuance and the subdued emotion of the character.

Characters are etched out by actions and the actions are reflected in the dialogue. The dialogue is a sheer choice of words like we do in our daily lives. If someone asks something we have a plethora of words and emotions to pick from. The range varied from a sarcastic remark to an admirable sigh to a gesture of gratitude. Now, this very choice makes us what we are and that indeed had made Frances Ha a very relatable character. It can be you too given that you are a girl or rather understand what is being a girl all about.

As I mentioned, dialogue reveals character and in this motion picture it's the choice of words by Noah Baumbach and they turn into good dialogue and making the film interesting and worthwhile. This is a film of a Woman of today that is 2012 and her own self-identify crisis, self-goals, financial coping upon standing by herself in making ends meet and all of that and more, even some psychological and physical aspects. All put together it is a completely contemporary movie. And I love it coz this about a girl of today, in the times I live.

Interestingly, the film is in Black and White I have always loved the Black and White simply because they minimize the trappings of admiration, you cannot say, oh, that was lit of so well, the lights are wonderful, a great natural scene and all that, coz it's all devoid of colours and if leaves are not green, most would not bother if they are black or white. So that sets me as a viewer in focus and the focus primarily is on the emotions of the character.  I love the black and white films and happy that even today a handful of directors are trying this.

It's good in editing, indeed it was so quick that it got over in a whizz, it's wonderful in cinematography that made me feel claustrophobic when shot in the apartments and made me feel so clumsy in the crowd and happy in the woods. The dialogues are smart witty and extremely relatable.

Now, above all, I loved the relationship between the two girls Sophie and Frances. They are like two thick friends who have some ego within them that develops, it can be considered envy to an extent but there are no hard feelings yet as they wish each other luck. So tough to put a name to it and it really made it interesting. 

The climax is not there and is like, life goes as in the Telugu film "ANTHULENI KATHA" where the protagonist's life goes on, driven more by circumstances this film too has that and it makes it more realistic.

This kind of cinema is becoming a rarity as we are moving into more commercial space where a film is losing the purpose of art, it's more like how much money will I get with a venture than about, how many will like it. I am unhappy coz I had to watch this as a download and not in cinemas. Thanks to Criterion collection for making me aware of this gem.

I am going with 4/5 for a film I loved. For the real film aficionados, this will be a well worth spent time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche