Sunday, January 1, 2012

GAMYAM (2008) - TELUGU


Written with good intent made to entertain solely, this is a compromise of sorts.

To be frank, I have seen this film for the first time and was very disappointed to sit all through the 2 hours journey of it. 

It's a journey of a rich brat realizing the truth and life as a whole. It tries too hard to pass on a message and to entertain at the same time. Bad acting by it's main protagonist Sharwanand (who has till date made offbeat films) lets the film completely down. The locales selected are good but showing them is too immature, if you have to capture an emotion of a character you can show his face in a close up rather than showing the whole of the background scene. Also, the music is a major hinderance and I would request the directors to keep music out of such films they act as spoilers more than songs. All, in all it's a badly made film but still written with a noble intent. 

I would credit the writer director Radhakrishna (Krish) for his writing abilities more than his directing abilities. For cinema's sake, one must understand should he himself direct the film or write and let some other person direct it. There are too many unwanted aberrations and scenes that made the film a bland thing rather than an engaging watch.

The story is of a self discovery of a rich brat who used to see world through his bungalow or car windows, he takes upon a journey on bike to seek his love. And in this journey meets our hero (Gali Seenu), seriously Allari Naresh has done this role superbly well and for me is the hero of the film. Also Kamalinee Mukherjee just complements to her role Janaki aptly and thanks to dubbing by Sunitha.

It moves from one place to another from Hyderabad to Kurnool (yaganti) to Narasipatnam. It shows the milieu of Andhra Pradesh but the characters are too cliched and ineffective. Many a time, dialogues seem so fabricated and unnatural. (reason may be I was watching this alone at home and had I watched in theatre, reaction can be something else, sorry for the analytics).  

From feudal henchmen in Kurnool to Naxalites in forests of eastern ghats, it moves and shows the world that we seldom see. But was so much necessary for a self discovery? is what I seriously asked.

Few dialogues as below just give a glimpse of what the movie is "I have seen the world, paris, london not seen such poverty there" is where it begins and at the end our protagonist says "I have seen everything, from giving a baby's birth to Seenu's death in my own hands" so that may well give you a measure of what this movie is about. 
I would still say it's a very well written screenplay and dialogues strike the chord too. But all this is taken a back seat by bad direction. Bad direction examples

1) Seenu getting his wound healed by Janaki and Abhi does not even see her face. Too filmy boss
2) They get into Naxalites ok fine but was killing of Seenu so very necessary
3) Was Brahmanandam a character or a caricature 
4) Is getting in a recording dance an attempt to include an item number or showing a culture of our state or to take the story forward, never got this logic.

It's much overrated or may be we never saw quality cinema yet of self discovery that made this movie so very good for most of the viewers. Go see Good Will Hunting or better Motorcycle Diaries (from where this film was inspired)

For me, it's average 2/5. Sorry Krish, hope you make better movies than this. Also, "of the whole money spent, this film could have been much better with half the budget, dont add songs and remove the Brahmanandam episode and your budget will be cut."

6 comments:

  1. Assume, the director implemented all your suggestions then it will not become a movie !!!

    guess what???

    It will become a documentary....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But this became a mockumentary...mocking things ....the only saving grace was lines of Naresh and his acting...liked the film but only in few parts...so average for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naresh takes the movie over all the drawbacks and yeah
    There are a few I agree! Sometimes you side with those drawbacks to draw an audience.
    That goes against what you want them to feel a little.
    But if at least one of it feels the way the writer did about the story
    I d say he did good...in fact I d say he did great!

    After all.. Face it brad though You won't agree... What good is a story if you don't tell it someone...anyone... At least one!

    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got your point....story is as it written well...just should have been shot effectively...

      Delete
  4. Pardon my typing .... I skip words ... Hazards of thinking faster than writing.

    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats OK.....as long as u comment anything anna

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche