Sunday, October 9, 2011

BICYCLE THIEVES (1948) - ITALIAN


The quest is for identity, a job, a better life and that's all in a bicycle.

One of the most realistic films made in times just after world war where everyone in Italy was after a job and beg borrow or steal get a job coz that's the way for better living. Our hero is Antonio Ricci, married has a wife and a kid and gets a job that needs a bicycle. He affords a bicycle and it's stolen now his run to get it back makes the whole movie. He devises ways, catches in fact the thief too, but did he succeed? See it to know it. We all know, that a heart once lost cannot be found again and a life once lost can never be gained again. But if we lose a bicycle, there is a hope of getting it again and it's proved here that hope drives a human being more than anything else.

The movie camera moves to and fro into the frames to bring in emotions out of the extremely heart broken but still hopeful Ricci and camera itself acts as a character by bringing out the milieu of the times and the locales. What beautiful thing to know that times then were so very hopeless and still hope is what  drove everything in each one.

It's easily one of best directed and acted films that has no histrionics but simple plain real life portrayals. The music is simple and there is not much to edit in the movie which means it's perfect as it is. Loved, the way it was made, it was then un compromisingly made and hats off to that.

Easily one of the best movies ever. It's 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche