Sunday, July 12, 2020

GULABO SITABO (2020) - HINDI


A charming film that conveys a strong message subtly embellished with fun and realism. It's a satire that's realistic and hilarious.

First and foremost, there needs to be a mention of the setting and backdrop. The Haveli (Mansion) named Fatima Mahal in Lucknow becomes the central character of the film, it's contrary to the modern world. It stands tall against the forces of modern materialistic and greedy beings like archeologists and lawyers albeit the collapsing walls. Also greedy are the two main men Mirza played by the ever-reliable Amitabh Bachhan and Baankey played by the flagbearer of new-age Hindi films Ayushmann Khurana. I will talk about these two in a while.


As if the backdrop and the two main characters are not, it's the smart women who outsmart these men and runaway with few jaw-dropping moments. The ending is smartly done by the smartest lady in the film. Not just the octogenarian Farukh Jafar the smartest I believe is the writer Juhi Chaturvedi. Juhi has a knack for the low-key realistic stories and the way she brought this story to life is worth many accolades.  

This is the fourth film I have liked from this writer-director combination. The others being Vicky Donor Piku and October. Hope that Shoojit Sircar(director) and Juhi Chaturvedi(writer) give us many more such films. Shoojit's placing of scenes and setting up the mood and getting the right emotion is pretty perfect. There is never an off-beat moment in the film and that credit I give to the director. I believe he is getting better at his craft. 

The cinematography is worth a mention, the ambiance set up the mood. Although I watched this film at home it made me travel through the streets of Lucknow and took me to almost every corner of the haveli. The detailing is just right and blends well with the narrative and the usage of light is wonderful. Tungsten filament lamps, torches, and neon street lights, they give a strong feeling that there is still a long way to go for us as a country. Also, a mention to Vijay Raaz (Gyanesh) and Brijendra Kala (Christopher) who have done a fabulous job. Indeed all the artists have done wonderfully well.

Now, getting back to the two main characters - Mirza and Baankey who fight relentlessly and never give up a fight are the amazing aspects of this film. They hold the film and yet are split apart by their own vested interests. They own each and every frame they are in. When both are in one scene then it's electric. Thanks to the team for bringing these two great actors together in a meaningful film. 

The title is taken from the puppet show "Gulabo Sitabo" and it's wonderful to see that puppet shows are still being referred to albeit as a metaphor. 

A definite watch. A 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche