Thursday, November 17, 2011

THE LOST WEEKEND (1945) - ENGLISH


Will he quit drinking even if he convinces so at the end of the movie?
Is this considered as a noir film or not? Rather, what is a noir film if this is not.
Don Birnam, why is he addicted and does he drink only on weekends or on weekdays (Monday to Friday) too?

These were the questions I was left with when I watched this film for the first time two years ago. I found answers and and am convinced after a third time watch.

Will he quit drinking Even if he convinces so at the end of the movie? 
Ans: Does it really matter.
Is this considered as a noir film or not? Rather, what is a noir film if this is not.
Ans: No this not a noir film
Why is he addicted and does he drink only on weekends or on weekdays (Monday to Friday) too?
Ans: He surely has an addiction even on week day too. Reasons for addiction does not bother me as they can be any.

Don Birnam (Ray Milland) is an addicted alcoholic who thrives on it and strives for it. His every emotion be it his joy when he finds a bottled or his fears, they are shown in extremely novel style in a time as 1945 where still a movie on alcoholism was a taboo and alcohol drinking was still not so much in films. I am sure, this film has stylized drinking in a way too. Made in an post World War 2 time, the film has to be looked at historically coz this has great historical relevance. 

Sure, this has all the ingredients of a terrific drama and exactly that is what it turns out to be. It is made uncompromisingly and very very compellingly. Till the very end, we cannot figure out where the movie can lead to. This could have gone anywhere in the climax and the climax is a bit hurried coz it hushes things and ends too quickly to my dislike. I wanted to be savored but had to swallow.

This has very strong characters (only 4 important though) and yet you easily sustain a 90 minute drama.

I really was happy and surprised to have seen this. It's 3/5 for a film that is good in all ways but still does not rise above to be called great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche