Tuesday, July 23, 2013

SHIP OF THESEUS (2013) - HINGLISH


This film demands our attention and rewards us uncompromisingly. Those, who are unwilling to heed to the film please be away, coz it will be a big bore. And those who crave for good intellectual film, please please please see this.

What is the purpose of life? Is it to love? Get married and have kids? Have a job or business and with the money we get, feed our kids and facilitate them to grow before we perish from the world? Or is there a better purpose? Those living merely for love, family and kids can be considered as "average beings" and I am still one among those, but to be a "better being" I suppose there has to better purpose. The purpose is debatable and personal too for each. This film shows people who have a higher purpose.

There are few films that make us ask questions, that trigger our thoughts. This is one such film. How many times, before doing our daily prayer, daily ritual, be it Namaaz or lighting a lamp or a candle, have we asked, is this the one that we must do? What if I do not do it, what if the one who is meant to be there above, does not exist? And if he does not exist, then the rituals are made by men and are thrown to us to follow, so should we follow men? Did we ever ask such questions? Are we supposed to ask? Are we supposed to ask what is life after death? Is death such a tragedy or can we embrace it equally as we embrace life?

Too many questions were triggered in this film, be it of belief, the way of life or even on the thoughts of existence. And I am glad that it rewarded me immensely not by answering but making me ask questions. It jolted me well enough that it just goes on in my mind as I write this. 

This is not a film, where you just seek entertainment, this is a philosophical film and the best part is never this film is preachy. I love the conflict within the characters, their questions can be derived into acts and these acts determine their characters. 

Of all, Neeraj Kabi stood out and I am not revealing names or anything of other actors, because whoever they are, I love them in this film. Technically, cinematography is just top class and I am astonished that such a rich film was made in a meagre budget of 2.5 crores.  I am also astonished by Anand Gandhi, the man who wrote serials like "Kyu Ki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi" and "Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki" can write such a piece of art and execute it so well. 

I do not think this is a review of any sort and I rather refrain from reviewing it. I just put my thoughts, my questions, to seek is the only thing one can do. I am spellbound and this is by far one of the most thought provoking films I have seen. Thanks to everyone. 

I wish, I did not rate this, coz as u mature, ratings disappear. Nevertheless, a 5/5 and still it would mean so less to a film that has given me so much more. 

Note that the film is in both Hindi and English in parts, thus Hinglish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche